Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed Cake

Source: My aunt, Nikie Elwood

Ingredients:
1 pkg. lemon or yellow cake mix
1 pkg. (3 oz.) lemon or vanilla pudding mix
1 cup water
4 eggs
½ cup oil
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds (or up to 2 Tbsp. if you really like them)
1 Tbsp. lemon extract (or you can use lemon juice if you’re out of extract)

Directions:
Mix together for 3 to 5 minutes.  Grease then sugar bundt pan.  Pour batter in and bake at 350° for 40 to 50 minutes.  Drizzle lemon glaze (recipe below) over cooled cake.  Makes great cupcakes, too; cook for 17-20 minutes and instead of frosting, brush tops of cooked cupcakes with melted butter and dip in sugar.  (Mini cupcakes were fun, too - I greased the mini muffin tin and sprinkled with sugar, then filled them with batter and cooked them for 10 minutes.)

Lemon Glaze
Mix a little bit of orange juice with some powdered sugar and almond extract and make it the consistency of a glaze.

Notes:
I was craving something lemony and springy and this is what I decided on.  I went the cupcake route so we could take some to our home teachees (and not be left with a huge cake all for ourselves ... not that we wouldn't love to eat the whole thing between the two of us, but, you know, it's not the healthiest idea ever thought up.)  I did some with the sugar topping and some with a lemon glaze topping (I used the glaze recipe for the apple lemon oat muffins I love instead of Nikie's because I didn't have orange juice or almond extract, but I know hers is delightful, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment