Saturday, April 2, 2011

Amish Banana Nut Bread

Source: A combination of something I found here and here

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread starter (I still had some left in my freezer from Heather's start that I never gave away, and I just thawed it and threw it in the bowl)
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 2 8x5 loaf pans (or 4 mini pans).  Sift together dry ingredients.  In large mixing bowl combine starter, eggs, oil, banana, and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients gradually and stir until just blended.  Stir in nuts.  Divide batter evenly between pans.  Bake 50 min (50 minutes would have been WAY too long ... as it was, when I checked at 40, the bread was nearly too brown) or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.  Place pans on rack to cool completely before removing.  Stores well in fridge or freezer wrapped well in plastic wrap.

Notes:
We had bananas and we had Amish Friendship Bread starter so I decided to try combining the two.  I had previously found this website with a whole host of ideas for adding some variety to the bread, so I knew it could be done.  But then I realized I didn't have a box of vanilla pudding.  What to do?  Thanks to google, I found this that had a recipe for puddingless bread.  (I really want to try the apple-cinnamon-nut version that is on here.)  Turns out it's not only puddingless, it's got other healthy things like whole wheat flour and flaxmeal, too.  Score!  Taste test: Darn delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment