Friday, April 8, 2011

Cracker Barrel's Brown Rice


Ingredients

1 lb onion
1 lb butter
1 lb canned mushrooms, drained
2 qts beef consomme
2 oz Warcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 28 oz bag of rice

Directions

Peel and chop onion by hand with hand chopper or French knife (1/4" x 1/4"). Into a large kettle or pot, place chopped onions, butter and mushrooms. Cook at a low simmer for 5 minutes or until the onion begins to turn clear. Add beef consomme, worcestershire sauce, and black pepper to a simmering mixture. Bring up to a rapid boil. Add rice to the boiling mixture and cover. Turn down to medium heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Check to see that rice is tender, turn off the heat and fluff rice well with spoon.

Notes: We were heading straight into a 3-4 hour traffic delay this evening, so we stopped at Cracker Barrel to wait it out and grab some dinner. This rice was one of my side dishes and I immediately fell in love. So much that the first thing that I did after getting home was to google the recipe. I was able to find the real deal from the CB kitchen's back-up cookbook. I haven't made it yet, but I expect that I'll replace the canned mushrooms with fresh (sauteed) and substitute the consomme with reduced beef broth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment