Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Teriyaki Burgers

Source: Kay Lynn Larsen (who I don't know, but it's her name that appears next to this recipe in my mom's old ward recipe book that this came from)

Ingredients:
1 egg, partially beaten
2 slices bread, torn up (I usually like to use the heels of a loaf - they're always left behind and work perfectly in this recipe!)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 lb. hamburger
1/4 cup water
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl (don't be afraid to use your hands and just mix it all together!).  In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, mix the remaining ingredients.  Then pour liquid over meat mixture and mix till everything is incorporated.  Mold into patties (I usually make mine heart shaped - I'm a nerd - and can get 5 to 6 decent-sized patties from a batch) and place on a foil lined cookie sheet.  Broil just until they hold together, and then turn over.  (Do not overcook.)  (I don't always broil them - sometimes, if I'm making sweet potato fries to go with them, which is pretty much every time I make them, I just cook them alongside my pan of sweet potatoes at whatever temperature I decide to cook them that day - anything from 375 to 415 usually works great, depending on when I started dinner and how soon we need/want to eat it!)  Serve with ketchup and/or horse radish for dipping.  (We don't eat these with buns like normal burgers; instead we eat them more like meatloaf or something - just by themselves with sweet potato "fries" on the side.)

Notes:
This is a recipe I remember having a handful of times growing up and for some reason just always loved.  It makes quite a regular appearance in our dinner rotation these days.  Callie LOVES them and can eat a whole patty herself!  If you have a cookie sheet that you don't care too much about, these can also been cooked out on the grill (on the cookie sheet - they're really moist and don't hold up well on a grate) when it's too hot to heat up the oven inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment