Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Individual Fruit Pizzas

Source: I've seen the idea a few places on Pinterest, including here and here, but I used my mom's tried and true sugar cookie recipe and the cream cheese frosting recipe from this cake



Ingredients:
for the cookies:
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
6 cups flour
2 cups shortening
1 level tsp. soda
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract

for the icing:
8 ounces full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3.5 cups confectioners' sugar
1 - 2 Tablespoons heavy cream (I used 1% milk instead, and while the recipe author said it would be less creamy than cream, I thought it was divinely creamy)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch salt (I skipped this because I had salted butter)

for the fruit toppings:
(*I was making these for a Young Women activity, so I picked fruit that went along with the value colors, but you can use whatever you like/is in season)
bananas, sliced
blueberries
strawberries, sliced
kiwi, sliced
mandarin oranges, drained
fresh pineapple, cut into small, thin slices
purple grapes, halved
fresh peaches, sliced

Directions:
First, make the cookies: Sift baking powder with flour.  Work shortening into flour as you would for pie crust.  Add sugar, beaten eggs, sour cream, salt and soda.  Mix well (I usually have to get my hands dirty and really knead everything together in the bowl).  Add flavoring (more kneading by hand at this point to get it all mixed in and stuck together in a big ball).  (I usually like to let the dough chill in the fridge for a few hours before rolling it out, but it's not completely necessary.)  Roll out, cut into desired shapes (~4-inch circles in this case), and bake at 400° for about 7 minutes or until lightly browned.

While the cookies are baking, mix together the frosting: Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until no lumps remain, about 3 full minutes. Add confectioners' sugar, 1 Tablespoon cream (or milk), vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add 1 more Tablespoon of cream (or milk) to thin out, if desired.  (I ended up with about 1 1/2 Tablespoons milk and it was silky smooth and easy to spread.)

When the cookies are cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting and top with fruit as desired.

Makes about 3 dozen 4-inch diameter cookies (and frosting to cover each one of them).

Notes:
As I mentioned above, I prepared these little treats for our New Beginnings refreshments.  Instead of icing and decorating cookies for everyone, I decided to make it a do-it-yourself dessert bar.  I put all the fruit into individual bowls (with cute labels - I don't know what came over me), had a tray of cookies and a few bowls of frosting and let the young women, parents and leaders go to town decorating their own.  It was a huge hit with everyone who attended (and with Gregg and me who got to eat the leftovers for the rest of the week!).

My cute fellow leaders showing off the spread.
(We also had someone bring some mini cupcakes, pictured
in the top left corner there - just so you know that's not part
of the fruit pizza dealio.)

Smiles all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment