Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Stroganoff

Source: The original Kim Blanchard

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb stew meat, slow cooked until tender (I always just use ~1 lb ground beef, seasoned with salt and pepper and browned)
1 large onion, halved and sliced thin
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 can cream of mushroom or chicken soup (I always use cream o' mush)
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 cup beef broth or water (I always use 1 soup can of water)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup sour cream (I always just use a big spoonful - I never measure, but I don't think it's quite a cup)
1 16 oz package egg noodles

Directions:
Saute onion and mushrooms.  Add meat.  Add soup, ketchup, water (or broth), Worchestershire sauce and salt and pepper.  Stir well to mix and simmer for a half hour.  While the stroganoff is simmering, boil your egg noodles according to package directions.  Drain.  Just before serving, stir in sour cream to the stroganoff mixture.  Serve over hot egg noodles (I always just mix all the noodles and all the sauce together in one big pot and serve it that way).

Notes:
I know there are a million stroganoff recipes out there, but here's another one to throw into the mix.  I found it in Gregg's missionary cook book, compiled by his mom before he left.  It's not fancy, but it is quick and really tasty.  We have this quite regularly around here and it's a hit with the whole fam.

No comments:

Post a Comment