Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Dad's Potato Salad

Source: My dad, Richard Elwood


Ingredients:
red potatoes, boiled and cubed
onion, diced fine
eggs, hard boiled and diced
miracle whip
mayonnaise
milk
salt and pepper, to taste
paprika, for sprinkling on top

Directions:
Wash and boil your potatoes till they are tender.  (Dad always leaves the skins on and peels them after they were cooked using a paring knife to gently peel away the skin from the potato.)  Cut them into bite-sized cubes and place them in a large bowl.  Dice an onion (or half an onion . . . or less - totally depends on your taste here and I tend to go for less) and add it to the potatoes in the bowl.  Peel and chop a few hard boiled eggs and add them to the potatoes and onions in the bowl.

For the dressing, mix equal parts mayo and miracle whip in a small bowl.  Add a sqirt of yellow mustard.  Slowly add a little milk to thin it out.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pour dressing over potatoes, onions and egg and stir to coat.  Sprinkle paprika over the top and chill for several hours before serving.

Notes:
My dad always makes the potato salad for big family gatherings like Memorial Day or Fourth of July picnics, Hardware Ranch trips, and even Callie's baby blessing.  His is really the only potato salad that I really like.  So many times I've seen one served somewhere and thought, "Yeah, potato salad!"  And then I take a big scoop and am utterly disappointed.  Every time.  I'm finally learning to avoid the potato salad at food functions or restaurants and save myself the heartache.  ;)  This year, on Memorial Day, I attempted to make Dad's "recipe" myself to eat with our Shake and Bake Chicken since he wasn't here to do so for me.  I don't think my salad was quite as good as his, but with a couple of decades of practice maybe I can catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment