Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tuna Casserole

Source: my mom, Peggy

Ingredients:
pasta - I used elbow macaroni (~2 1/2 cups dry) but we always had it with egg noodles growing up - I just didn't have any egg noodles on hand so I used what I had, and that was mac
1 can cream o' mushroom soup (you may want more sauce with that much pasta, so just eyeball it and if it needs more, add more)
1/2 can milk
frozen peas
1 can tuna
crackers, crushed - I didn't have any crackers, either, so I used tortilla chips and they were great
cheddar cheese, grated
salt (or seasoned salt) and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Boil the pasta according to the package directions.  While the pasta is boiling, mix together the cream o' mushroom soup, milk and tuna fish.  Grate some cheese, too, 'cause the noodles are probably not done yet.  Sprinkle some peas in the bottom of a 9 x 13-in pan.  When the noodles are cooked, drain them, then pour them over the peas in the casserole dish.  Pour the soup-tuna mixture over the noodles and peas and stir to coat everything.  Sprinkle the the crushed crackers to cover everything, then sprinkle the cheese over top of everything.  Pop the dish in the oven (I had it set at 400F) for about 15-20 minutes, so the cheese gets all bubbly and everything is warmed through.

Notes:
I love reading food blogs and trying new recipes, but every once in a while I just really want something familiar and homey.  Tuna casserole is not fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but it sure hit the spot and tasted just like my mom's cookin'.  I think next time I'll add some seasoned salt or chopped onion or something for a titch more flavor.  But yum.  Me gusta.

No comments:

Post a Comment