Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sausage and Beans with Rice

Source: Peggy Elwood (I think she got it from a Quick Cooking magazine back in the day)

Ingredients:
2/3 cup chopped onion (I probably used 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (Again, I used a lot - closer to a cup - of a mixture of orange and yellow bell peppers - very fallish color pallete!)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb smoked sausage cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (16 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups cooked rice (I think I put more like 3 heaping cups)
1/2 cup vegetable broth (I used chicken broth because that's what I had)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard (I just had regular yellow and it worked fine)

Directions:
In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, garlic and sausage in oil until onion is crisp tender. Stir in the rice and beans. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, mix brown sugar, ketchup, vegetable broth and mustard and then pour over other ingredients. Stir to mix.  Heat all together and serve from the skillet.

Notes:
I love this meal for a few reasons: a) it's delicious, b) it's quick, and c) it's all in one pot (well, minus the rice cooking step, but I hear you can use minute rice if that's your thing).  Yum, yum, yummy, yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment