Saturday, May 21, 2016

Homemade Oreos

Source: my friend from Colorado, Heather Hay (via cooks.com)

Ingredients:
for the cookies:
1 devils' food cake mix
1/2 cup shortening (which I used, but I'm certain you could use butter in place if you wish)
2 eggs

for the frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-4 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Mix all cookie ingredients together with an electric mixer.  Roll into dime sized balls and place on a cookies sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes (I cooked mine for 11 because they were still super gooey at 8).  Cool on a wire rack.

Mix all frosting ingredients until smooth.  Frost backs of cooled cookies and place together to make sandwiches.

Notes:
I had a cake mix (mine was German Chocolate instead of Devil's Food) sitting in my pantry that was just dying to be made into something.  But I didn't feel like making (or eating) cake necessarily.  So I thought of cookies.  Usually, I'd make these cake mix cookies, which are delicious.  But this time I remembered my good friend, Heather, who always made these oreos at Christmas parties in our ward in Colorado (she would color the frosting green and red for added festiveness).  So, I whipped up a batch, and instead of using the cream cheese frosting that is listed here, I opted for a can of pecan-coconut frosting that I had sitting in my pantry, too.  (I must say that next time I think I'll make frosting - I was not impressed with the weird plastic/chemically taste that comes in this canned stuff.  But at any rate, we ate them all.)  Oh man.  German Chocolate homeade oreos?  Hook me up!  They were fantastic and super easy and really quite quick.  Winner winner!


No comments:

Post a Comment