Friday, May 27, 2016

Chocolatey Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Source: The one and only Mel

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces) butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup (7 ounces) packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup (3.5 ounces) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups (6.25 ounces) all-purpose flour  (I added just a few tablespoons more because my dough seemed overly sticky - it was still sticky even with the extra, but just not quite as sticky as before, and the cookies turned out great; also, I did about 1/2 cup white whole wheat + 3/4 cup all-purpose)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (3.5 ounces) old-fashioned oats
1 cup (3.5 ounces) quick oats
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (I never add quite as many chips as recipes call for - I probably did about half or maybe a bit more than half)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large, rimmed baking sheets (11X17-inches or so) with parchment paper (you can if you want to, but I never do and they were just great - no sticking at all).

In a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat until creamy and light in color, 2-3 minutes.

In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and both kinds of oats.

Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Add the chocolate chips and mix until everything is just combined.

Drop the batter by heaping tablespoon-sized scoops (I use my #40 medium cookie scoop) about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 10-11 minutes until the edges are just set but the middles are still soft. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat scooping and baking with remaining cookie dough.

Notes:
Mel teased us on instagram with these cookies a few weeks ago and I haven't stopped thinking about them since.  So when she finally posted the recipe on Monday, I knew I would be giving them a try.  I whipped them up yesterday and stashed most of the 3 dozen that it made in the freezer for some Memorial Day picnic dessert, but I did eat a few last night with a glass of milk and my-oh-my were they rich and delicious!  I decided today after eating another that they remind me a lot of the cake mix cookies from my grandma - oats and chocolate chips and a chocolate cookie - in totally homemade form.  Yum-o-rama!


No comments:

Post a Comment