Monday, May 27, 2013

Light and Crispy Waffles

Source: Our Best Bites

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I love it with 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/4 cup all-purpose)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup buttermilk (I never have buttermilk, so I always do the 1 Tablespoon lemon juice + add milk to a cup and let it sit for 5 minutes trick)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla

Doubled for easier maths in the morning:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
2 Tablespoons lemon juice mixed with 2 cups milk
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 Tablespoon vanilla

Directions:
Whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and whisk until combined. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.  (Or, if you don't have time, you can just cook them up right away.)

Heat a Belgian waffle iron. Make waffles by ladling a generous 1/3 cup of batter into the waffle iron and cooking until golden brown. Serve with desired topping (fruit, syrup, whipped cream - or all three!).

Makes 5-6 waffles (more like 4 plus a teeny tiny one in our waffle iron).

Notes:
I'm not a huge pancake fan, but I've always really liked waffles for some reason.  Except I'm kind of picky about them, and I'd much prefer the smaller holed "regular" waffles to a Belgian-style big-holed waffle.  The problem is that all we've got is a Belgian waffle maker at our house.  So it hasn't been used too much because my favorite waffle recipe that my dad used to make on Saturday mornings growing up, when cooked in our deep-holed waffle cooker, is just too heavy and dense for my liking.  Enter the "light and crispy" part of this recipe title that caught my attention.  Since this morning was a rather lazy, slow, holiday morning, I decided to put this recipe to the test.  Turns out they are indeed light and crispy . . . and oh-so-tasty.  I have a feeling we'll be having waffles a lot more often around here!

Update 1/13/14:
We have been making and loving this recipe for months now.  On a whim, thanks to inspiration from this recipe from Laurel, I added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 cup chopped pecans to this recipe.  Our kitchen smelled heavenly as they cooked - just like Cinnabon. Simply put, they were amazing.

Update 10/21/14:
Still loving this recipe - we have waffles a ton now.  I tried a new variation last week with my brother: Pumpkin Spice.  I added 1/4 cup canned pumpkin and a few shakes of cinnamon, ginger and cloves to the batter.  Tonight with the missionaries, I made an Apple Cinnamon version.  I added a teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg as well as about 3/4 of a smallish gala apple, chopped finely.  Both were very fallish and delicious.  The possibilities are endless once I get a little brave in the kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. I made these as written recently but added 1/2 cup cocoa powder and upped the sugar to about 1/4 cup (to the doubled batch). Holy moley! What a treat! (Don't tell anyone, but we added leftover pecan coconut icing from my German chocolate birthday cake plus strawberries and blueberries and whipped cream! Dessert for breakfast? Don't mind if I do!)

    ReplyDelete