Monday, May 13, 2013

Rice Pilaf

Source: Laura Coleman, a sister of my very good friend, Christine McClung

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup uncooked rice (not minute)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup celery, minced
3 cups hot chicken broth (I used 2 14 oz cans, so a little more than 3 cups)
1 Tablespoon parsley
1/4 cup slivered almonds (didn't have these, so just left 'em out)

Directions:
Melt butter then add rice, onion and celery.  Stir until brown.  Then add chicken broth, parsley, and almonds.  Bring to a boil for a minute or two.  Simmer, covered, on low for 20 minutes, till rice is cooked.

Notes:
I was looking for some sort of side dish to go along with our grilled chicken on Mother's Day.  I wasn't crazy about any of the potato options that I was coming up with, but I suddenly remembered rice.  Of course, rice!  Why not?  And then I remembered a long time ago, while visiting Christine's sister, Laura, in St. George, we made this yummy rice pilaf dish one evening.  I hadn't made it since, but I remember thinking it was so good.  A quick look at the recipe encouraged me that it was indeed quite easy to make and I had everything I needed to do so at the last minute (minus the almonds, which I'm sure would be great, but it was fine without).  The great thing about this was that I could make it all in my rice cooker with my handy "saute then simmer" mode.  Perfect!  It came out lovely and fluffy and totally delicious.  And I will for sure not let this recipe retreat into the dusty memory file again.

No comments:

Post a Comment