Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Yummy Spaghetti

Source: adapted from a recipe by my aunt, Nikie Elwood

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef or 1 lb cooked chicken (diced or shredded)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can cream o' mushroom soup
1 bottle spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella but cheddar is good, too)
a bunch of spaghetti or angel hair pasta (I never know how to really measure spaghetti - so just cook enough to fill a 9 x 13" casserole dish.)

Directions:
Boil your pasta according to package directions.  Drain and put in a 9 x 13" casserole dish.

In a saucepan, brown ground beef and add onion, green pepper and garlic (if using chicken instead, just saute the veggies in a little bit of oil and then add the chicken when they are soft).  Add soup, sauce and parmesan cheese and simmer together.

Pour sauce mixture over pasta and carefully mix so all noodles are coated.  Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, or until warmed through and cheese on top is bubbly.

Notes:
I remember when one of my little sisters (probably Megan) was born that Nikie brought our family a pan of this "yummy spaghetti" and I loved it.  When I was racking my brain for ideas on what to feed the missionaries last night, this seemed to fit the bill because a) I had everything we needed and b) it can feed a crowd - or a couple of hungry elders.  So the decision was made.  And it was good.  And we still have some leftover for today.  Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment