Sunday, January 29, 2012

Split Pea Soup with Barley and Ham

Source: Mel of Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
1 cup dry split green peas
1/2 cup medium pearl barley (not quick-cooking barley)
2 cups chopped ham
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
5 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes (or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf

Directions:
In a medium bowl or liquid measure, combine the water, bouillon cubes and spices and whisk to combine (it’s ok if the bouillon cubes don’t completely dissolve).

In a medium round slow cooker (about 4-quart), layer peas, barley, ham, carrots, onion and celery. Do not mix. Pour in the water/spices mixture and add the bay leaf to the slow cooker. Don’t stir! Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for four hours or on low eight hours, until the peas reach the desired creamy, soft texture. Remove the bay leaf, stir well, and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately. Upon sitting and/or refrigerating, this soup thickens considerably. Simply add water or chicken broth to thin the soup to the desired consistency before reserving.

Notes:
I never grew up with split pea soup (it's one of the only things I've ever heard my mom say she hated - stemmed from a stay in the hospital as a child, I think).  (In fact, the only thing I had ever done with split peas was to extract DNA from them.)  But I know Gregg likes it, and after Victoria's comments about loving barley, I thought it was as good a time as ever to give it a whirl.  All I can say is Yum!  (With a capital Y.)  This is really yummy - and probably not too much different than the other split pea soup recipes posted already, but the barley really is a nice addition, I think.  I only halved the recipe when I made it because I wasn't sure how much I would love it, but next time I'll make the whole thing.  (The half recipe was probably 3 generous servings or 4 smaller ones.)

No comments:

Post a Comment