Monday, January 16, 2012

Rice Cooker Teriyaki Chicken and Rice

Source: this site, via Pinterest

Ingredients:
chicken (I used a boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper, and browned in a little bit of oil directly in my rice cooker - but you can use whatever you like and/or have on hand)
2 cups rice (or enough for your family - we used 2 cups and that lasts for dinner plus a few lunches for the next couple of days)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup water + 3 cups water

Directions:
In a bowl, mix brown sugar, soy sauce, water and ketchup.  Stir until well blended.  Set aside.  Measure out enough rice to feed your family.  Pour it into a rice cooker.  If you don't have a rice cooker, you can still do this on the stove, it just takes a little more watchful eye.  Measure out the correct amount of liquid for your rice (the teriyaki sauce recipe above makes about 1 cup liquid, so I added 3 cups water to make 4 cups total liquid for my rice to cook).  If you want a stronger teriyaki flavor simply increase the amount of sauce you prepare and decrease the extra water accordingly.  Pour the teriyaki sauce in the rice cooker.  Add the extra water.  Dice the chicken and dump it in the cooker as well.  Set the cooker to cook and walk away.  (I also added frozen peas to the mix, though I think I'd like them better if I just stirred them in towards the end rather then letting them cook the whole time.)

Notes:
Just another quick little recipe I found on Pinterest.  Pretty tasty, though our rice was a little bit chewy, so next time I'll probably add a bit more water.  Love that rice cooker - makes dinner time a breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment