Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments

Source: food.com and Martha Stewart


Ingredients:
3/4 cup cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup warm applesauce
2 tablespoons of white glue

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Knead to stiff dough. (You may need to add more applesauce, but a little at a time.). Roll out between sheets of foil to 1/4 inch thick.  (I just rolled it out on the counter - if it stuck to the rolling pin, I dusted it with a little more cinnamon so it wouldn't stick.)

Cut out with cookie cutters. Use straw (or, if you don't have a straw, the barrel of a ball point pen) to make a hole near the top for hanging.

Let dry. You may also want to turn over so both sides dry thoroughly. (Martha suggests - and this is what I did - to dry them in a 200F oven for 2 hours, flipping once in the middle.)

Thread the hole with ribbon, thread, twine, or yarn and hang on your tree.  They would also make cute gift toppers.  Breath deeply and enjoy the magical scent of Christmas!

Notes:
I realize this isn't a recipe that you'd really want to eat, but I just had to share since they smell so good!  I remember my mom making these cute little ornaments a long time ago, and I always loved pulling them out of the decoration box to put on the tree each year.  When I saw this idea floating around Pinterest, I knew that I had to try them this year for our little tree.  They are really easy and fairly quick.  I made two batches to get the number of ornaments shown in the picture - about 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment