Friday, December 2, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup (for the Crockpot)

Source: food.com

Ingredients:
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine (I used Canola oil - lightening things up (NOT like this can save it!))
1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups milk
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli (I used fresh instead - just chopped some up and didn't even measure)
Black pepper, to taste (my little addition)

Directions:
Sauté onion and green pepper in butter (or oil, if you're like me).  I added the broccoli after the onions and pepper were soft and sauted it around for about a minute or so before proceeding on to the next step.

Combine all ingredients on low in crockpot for 3-4 hours. Do not add salt.  (Because I didn't think ahead enough about this, I ended up making it in a pot on the stove - worked fine and was done in about a half hour I think.  Just be careful to not heat it too hot or the cheese does something funky on the bottom of the pan!  Nice and low and slow!)

Notes:
This is definitely not a light or healthy soup.  If that's what you're looking for - just turn around now.  And I normally wouldn't pick a Velveeta recipe over something with more real ingredients (you know, cheese).  But I had some leftover Velveeta from the Taco Plop recipe and decided this would be the way I would use it up.  Very creamy and rich and a warm way to cozy up on a very blustery cold day.  (Oh, and SUPER easy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment