Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Thai Glazed Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Source: The Food Network


Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
  • grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick)
  • 2 T. vegetable oil, two turns of the pan
  • 2 T. minced ginger root
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
  • 1 c. packaged shredded cabbage and carrot mix
  • 3 scallions, chopped at an angle
  • 1/2 c. plum sauce
  • 2 c. basil leaves, loosely packed
  • 1 T. fish sauce
  • 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, cut into half again
  • 1/2 seedless cucumber, chopped

Directions:

  1. Thinly slice the chicken into strips and sprinkle with grill seasoning.
  2. Heat a large skillet to screaming hot. Add vegetable oil, then chicken. Cook chicken 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  3. Add the ginger, garlic, peppers, cabbage and carrot mix, and scallions and stir-fry another 2 minutes.
  4. Add plum sauce to glaze mixture, toss 1 minute, then add basil and wilt leaves. Add fish sauce and turn to coat.
  5. Transfer cooked chicken and vegetables to a bowl. Place spoonfuls of chicken into a piece of lettuce with cucumber and fold lettuce over to eat, like small tacos.
Comments:

These lettuce wraps were incredible! I've never made these before, but they will definitely become a regular in the future. Scott and I love lettuce wraps at restaurants; I was craving them tonight, so I Googled an easy recipe that I could make at home. I chose this one since I had nearly all the ingredients at hand (even the leftover basil from last night's bruschetta and the cabbage mix from last week's Sausage and Cabbage Skillet). . .all I had to grab from the store was fresh lettuce and the plum sauce (in the Asian foods section). I couldn't find any fish sauce at the store, so I just left it out and it tasted fine. I also substituted 2 tsp. ground ginger for the 2 T. minced ginger root.

These wraps were tasty, quick, easy, and healthy to boot. . .perfect for those of us watching our carbs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment