Thursday, January 8, 2015

Ham and Cheese Tortilla Roll-Ups

Source: adapted slightly from here, via Pinterest

Ingredients:
1 block cream cheese, softened
1 can diced green chiles
1 small can sliced black olives (I didn't have any olives, but I would have loved to add them if I did)
1 tablespoon fresh chives (or one green onion, sliced) (I did the onion)
6 slices of ham (I doubled the ham to fit better on each tortilla - so two per instead of just one)
6 flour tortillas
~1/2 cup or so shredded cheddar cheese
a squirt of mustard
a sprinkle of garlic powder

Directions:
Mix your softened cream cheese with the mustard and garlic powder (you don't need much of either, just a little to give it a good flavor) in a large mixing bowl.

Drain black olives and give them a rough chop.  Slice green onions or chop chives (both are tasty so use what you like best).  Place green onions (or chives), roughly chopped black olives, canned green chiles and cheddar cheese in the bowl with the cream cheese mixture.  Stir to combine.  You'll really have to work it all in so it's completely combined.

Now for the roll-ups.  Using a spatula, spread 1/6th of the mixture evenly on top of a flour tortilla and place a piece of ham (or two) on top.  Roll up your tortilla tightly.  Slice each roll with a sharp serrate knife into about 1 1/2 inch pieces.  (Eat the ends that don't really stay together and look ugly.)  Refrigerate till you're ready to eat.

Notes:
I remember my first ever introduction to Tortilla Roll-Ups (and only experience ever, really, until I made some for Halloween last year (those ones were salsa flavored and were a big hit)) was at the Cannon's home in South Weber after they moved away from being our back-yard neighbors.  This must have been years ago.  I'm sure I was no more than 12 when it happened.  I don't know why my family and I were at their house eating Tortilla Roll-Ups, but I remember loving them so much.  Now whenever I see them pop up on food blogs or pinterest, I pin away.

After my successful foray into the Roll-Ups world a few months ago, I've kept my eyes especially alert for new flavor combinations to try.  I happened to have a half block of cream cheese and most of the other necessary ingredients (minus the olives, which I was bummed about, but honestly they were fine without) hanging out in the fridge on New Year's Eve, so I decided at the last minute to add these little beauties to the menu.  I whipped up a half-batch and it was the perfect complement to our other apps we ate that night.  So quick and so easy and oh-so-delicious are these little morsels.  I foresee the Tortilla Roll-Up becoming a staple treat/snack/meal/appetizer in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment