Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Tomato Basil Soup

Source: here, via Pinterest

Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 - 14 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 - 14 oz. can whole tomatoes
2 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream (I used 1% milk - loved it)
3 tablespoons of fresh basil, julienned (I didn't have any fresh, so I used 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried basil)
parmesan cheese

Directions:
In a saucepan, saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat for 1 minute - being careful not to burn the garlic.  Add the crushed tomatoes.  Add the whole tomatoes one at a time, squeezing them into the pan to break them up.  Add the juice from the whole tomatoes, as well.  Add chicken stock, salt, pepper and sugar.  Cook the soup on medium at a simmer for 10 minutes.

To finish, reduce the heat to low and stir in heavy cream and basil.  Serve topped with parmesan cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich (which is exactly what we did - both!).

Notes:
Every Thursday in the winter I like to make soup.  Of course I have my favorites, but sometimes I like to find a new recipe (I have so many to choose from on Pinterest) to test out.  I'm so glad I tried this one!  I loved it!  It's a thick-ish consistency due to the crushed tomatoes and there's a bit of chew from the whole tomato chunks in there.  Very hearty for a tomato soup.  And lots of flavor!  The perfect complement to a good grilled cheese.  I will be making this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment