Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Sweet and Sour Pork

Source: My mom

Ingredients:
2 lbs pork roast or boneless pork ribs, cut into 1 inch cubes (I used one fairly large pork chop - but it wasn't close to 2 lbs, I'm guessing)
1 20 oz can pineapple chunks (do not drain)
2 green peppers, cubed (I used one green and one yellow - but I should have used red since the pineapple is yellow ;) - also, I've made it with one pepper and one onion and that's yummy, too.)
1 cup beef broth
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar (I used a touch less than 1/2)
salt, black pepper, garlic powder and a dash or two of hot sauce
cornstarch mixed with water (to thicken) (I used 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch in a drizzle of water - probably could have used a bit more since it didn't get super thick; my most recent time making it I used 2 TB in 1/3 cup water, but that probably was too much because it got thicker than I was expecting.  1 TB is probably just right.)
1/2 - 3/4 cup vinegar (I used ~1/2 cup)
soy sauce to taste (I used a few shakes - I don't really have any idea how much it was; up to 1/4 cup tastes good to me)
steamed rice (to serve)

Directions:
Season pork with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Brown in stock pot on medium heat (I used a little bit of oil).  Cook until well browned.  Add beef broth, sugar, juice from pineapple, hot sauce and vinegar.  Simmer for about 20 minutes.  Add green peppers, pineapple chunks and desired soy sauce.  Cook until meat is very tender (this will take about 30-40 minutes).  Add more beef broth or vinegar and sugar while cooking if needed (I didn't need to the first time, but my most recent time I added 1 cup water as it was cooking).  Mix water and cornstarch together then slowly add to sweet and sour mixture.  Cook until thick.  Serve over rice.  Serves 6-8.

Notes:
I've made sweet and sour chicken dishes many, many times - it's one of our favorites and pretty regular in the ol' meal rotation.  But there was a pretty good sale on pork chops this week and instead of buying my usual chicken breasts, I bought pork instead.  Yum!  What a pleasant change!  Good stuff here!

No comments:

Post a Comment