Saturday, September 13, 2014

Eggplant Zucchini Bolognese

Source: from my mom via an Elwood Family Cookbook (I don't know where she got it though)

Ingredients:
1 16 oz package penne pasta
1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium zucchini, cut into1/4 inch slices
1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 28 oz can tomato puree
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning (I didn't have this, so I used a shake-shake-shake approach and just added some garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, marjoram, oregano and basil)
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.  In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, zucchini, squash, onion, oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Transfer to a large cookie pan.  Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain grease.  Stir in tomato puree, Italian seasoning and brown sugar.  Drain pasta; stir into tomato mixture and roasted vegetables.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Yield: 8 servings.

Notes:
I noticed this one in a cookbook my cousin compiled a few years ago.  I decided it sounded tasty, so on a whim I bought an eggplant at the store (along with zucchini and summer squash - someday I'll grow all three in a garden of my own, but today is not that day) and whipped this up for Sunday dinner last week.  It was flavorful and delicious and full of yummy vegetables.  Callie loves her noodles, so she was in heaven (especially since penne are more easily eaten by her as opposed to spaghetti noodles).  We all enjoyed this meal and I'll be keeping it around for the day when I can use my own home-grown veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment