Saturday, September 13, 2014

Banana Carrot Muffins

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe . . . always

Ingredients:
2 cups lightly measured flour (10 ounces) (if I would have had whole wheat flour ground before making these at 8:30 at night after Callie went to bed, I'd probably use it for half or more of the flour, but alas, I did not, so I used all unbleached all purpose in this batch)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I upped it up to a full teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 very ripe medium bananas)
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (or vegetable oil)
1/4 cup no-sugar added applesauce
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup finely grated carrots (no need to peel beforehand) (mine was a heaping cup from about 3 medium carrots)
a healthy handful of raisins (this was my addition to the recipe, and I only added it to half my batch, but next time I won't leave 'em out)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or line ~18 muffin cups (I got 17 from my batch) with cooking spray or muffin liners.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

In a medium bowl or in a large liquid measure, whisk together the bananas, brown sugar, oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients along with the carrots (and raisins!). Fold the ingredients together with a rubber spatula until just combined. Don't overmix!

Divide the batter evenly (I always use my 2 Tablespoon measuring spoon which equals an 1/8 cup - it works perfectly for filling muffin tins, I've found) in the prepared pans and bake for ~15-20 minutes until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Notes:
September is here and these were the muffins I decided to make as my muffin of the month.  They were delicious, especially with the raisins.  A fun little variation on the typical banana bread muffin I usually make; I especially liked the colorful pop of orange from the carrot flecks.  Callie, as usual, totally devoured these little muffins.  And I loved them warm from the oven with a little (or medium-sized, let's be honest) dab of butter melting inside.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment