Thursday, September 18, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Source: Inspired by these recipes I found on pinterest, and taking some ideas from my favorite tortilla soup recipe from my old neighbor Camilla, I mostly made this one up on my own (kinda fun!).

Ingredients:
~2 cups celery, diced (I used a bunch of odds and ends pieces I had in my fridge, but I'd guess probably 4-5 stalks should do ya)
~2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced (I got this from 4 medium carrots)
1 large onion, diced
1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 heaping cup cooked and shredded chicken
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
2 (10.5 oz) cans cream o' chicken soup
2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
2+ cups water (I used the leftover water that I cooked my chicken in - is that legal?)
ground black pepper and parsley, to taste
2 Tablespoons cornstarch + 3 Tablespoons cold water

Directions:
Heat the oil in a 5 quart soup pot.  Dump in the celery, carrots and onions and saute until the onion is translucent and the veggies start to soften.  Add the frozen peas and corn, cream o' soup, chicken broth and water.  Stir well to mix everything.  Season with pepper and dried parsley.  Simmer on low for at least a half hour (I had mine cooking for about an hour).  For the last ten minutes of simmering, add the cornstarch-water mixture and watch it magically thicken up nicely.

Notes:
I saw a couple Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipes floating around on pinterest recently and the idea just sort of stuck in my head.  I didn't think ahead today in time to make it in a crock pot like the recipes I found suggested, but this stove-top version worked out nicely for our needs.  (I think it would work out fine in a crock pot, too, and may use that idea in the future.)  I tweaked the recipes I found (I didn't add mixed frozen veggies since I didn't have them and I didn't add potatoes because that seemed kind of weird to me for a chicken pot pie dish) and was really pleased with the results.  We gobbled ours up tonight (even though it wasn't really a soup-weather sort of night) with some hot whole-wheat biscuits and it was quite the delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment