Sunday, August 10, 2014

Zucchini Muffins

Source: adapted from a zucchini bread recipe from an old neighbor from 1150 North, Michael Hendricks

Ingredients and Directions:
In a large bowl, mix:
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
3 beaten eggs (I have subbed 1/2 cup plain yogurt for 2 of the eggs before and it worked great! - you could probably sub all three without much issue, just use 1/4 cup yogurt per egg)
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini

Add:
3 cups flour (I like half whole wheat when I have it handy)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/2 cup frozen cranberries (optional)

Pour into greased muffin pans.  Bake at 350° for ~20 minutes (I think) (mini muffins take about 15 minutes).  Makes 21 muffins (or ~50 mini muffins).

Notes:
August is here and zucchini muffins were the muffin of choice this month.  I've usually made this recipe as 2 loaves of zucchini bread (bake for ~1 hour) rather than muffins, but I decided to give the ol' muffin version a try.  I also made a couple more adjustments to make them a titch healthier than the original recipe (subbed applesauce for half the oil and cut the sugar amount in half).  I think they turned out delicious.  They certainly looked delicious - perfectly domed and golden brown with lovely flecks of green peeking through.  I usually make my muffins in paper muffin liners, but I didn't this time and they rose so well.  I may never go back to the wrappers!

No comments:

Post a Comment