Sunday, August 10, 2014

Scotcheroos

Source: My aunt, Kathryn Clark

Ingredients:
1 cup Karo syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter (I especially love it with chunky)
6 cups rice crispies cereal
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Place cereal in large bowl.  Melt Karo syrup and sugar over low heat, until sugar is dissolved.  Add peanut butter and mix until melted.  Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until the cereal is completely coated.  Spread evenly in rimmed cookie sheet.  Melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwave-safe bowl, 1 minute at a time and stirring well between heating.  Spread chocolate mixture over rice crispies (it might not reach all the way to the edge, but the edges are good to nibble on plain).  Cool and cut into squares.

Notes:
Every family party or campout that I can remember seemed to not be complete without a pan of scotcheroos.  Most often they were made by Kathryn, but I remember making many a batch of these delicious treats myself.  They're super quick and super easy and best of all they're super yummy.  I just saw a recipe on Pinterest that used Chex cereal instead of the rice crispies and that intrigues me enough to give it a try next time I whip up some of these treats.

3 comments:

  1. The version I grew up with uses cornflakes, which I love. And even though I love pb and choc together, that's not how I grew up with them, so I tend to think it's overkill and skip that part. Crazy, I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not crazy - I've had your version with the cornflakes and thought they were awesome. (I just saw a version using Chex instead, too, and thought it might be fun to try.) But the amount of chocolate that I have in the recipe above doesn't completely cover the whole pan of treats usually (I halved it from the original recipe I had which was just way, way too much), so I leave a little edge uncovered, and actually, that's my favorite part.

      Delete
  2. Used this again today! Thanks so much for having recipes at the fingertip. Love you!

    ReplyDelete