Monday, June 30, 2014

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins

Source: Tasty Kitchen Blog


Ingredients:
1 (1.5*) cup all-purpose flour
1 (1.5*) cup whole wheat flour (I didn't have any ground up, and Cal was napping so I didn't want to wake her with my loud machine, so I just used all-purpose this time)
1 (1.5*) teaspoon baking soda
½ (3/4*) teaspoon salt
1 (1.5*) teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ (3/4*) teaspoon ground ginger
¼ (3/8*) teaspoon ground cloves
1 (1 15 oz can*) cup pumpkin puree (I had 1/2 cup frozen in the freezer, remnants of an opened can from the fall, likely, so I used it plus 1/2 cup applesauce)
1 cup sugar (half brown, half white was really nice) (I have been using more like 2/3 cup total sugar for a regular batch and it's plenty sweet)
2 (3*) whole eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cups fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped (again, I had some leftovers from another recipe months ago stashed in the freezer - just gave 'em a rough chop straight from the freezer and they worked great - I probably had closer to 1 cup) (other fun mix-ins I've tried with much success: one or two chopped apples (I didn't even peel them), mini chocolate chips and pecans)

* these are the 1.5x amounts that I use when I want to use a whole 15 oz can of pumpkin



Directions:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (I always mini muffins at 350) and line your muffin cups (when I 1.5x the recipe, in italics above, I got 48 mini muffins + 1 mini loaf).

In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt and spices together and give them a quick swish with a whisk.

In your mixer, beat together the pumpkin, sugar, eggs and oil until it looks smooth. Then mix in the flour mixture until it’s just combined before stirring in the cranberries.

Divide into muffin cups, about 3/4 of the way up.  Bake about 18-20 minutes, or until done (I think mine took about 17 minutes, 12-13 minutes for the mini muffins). Let them cool a few minutes in the pan before removing them to a cooling rack.

Note: If you prefer a sweeter muffin, add 2-3 tablespoons more sugar.  (I didn't see a need for this - they were plenty sweet but just a little bit tart when you bit into a cranberry.)



Notes:
I debated about whether it was really "legal" to make such a fall-time flavored muffin in the middle of the summer.  But, obviously, I decided that I didn't care and I'm sure glad I did.  This was a fantastic Muffin-of-the-Month for June and I think it would be equally as fantastic during any other month of the year.  I loved how pretty they looked when I took them out of the oven, so I immediately took some pictures (something I've been pretty bad at with recipes as of late).  That should tell you right there that they're worth making.  We froze them and took them along on a camping trip and they made a perfect breakfast snack.  Cal especially loved them!

No comments:

Post a Comment