Saturday, August 17, 2013

Slow Cooker Coconut Rice Pudding

SourceWith Style and Grace, via Pinterest


Servings:  4-5

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup basmati rice – white or brown will also work (I used jasmine rice)
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup water - more or less for desired consistency
  • 1/4 cup sugar (I added this for sweetness)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey, divided

Directions:
  1. Turn the slow cooker on.
  2. Add rice, coconut milk, almond milk, sugar (if desired), vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the slow cooker. If you need to add more liquid, add a little water.
  3. Set to high for 2-2 ½ hours or low for 4 hours.
  4. When ready, mix in raisins, almonds & coconut. Divide the rice pudding among four bowls and drizzle ½-1 tablespoon of agave nectar or honey, then sprinkle a few coconut flakes over top.
  5. Serve and enjoy!
Comments:  Loved this rice pudding!  As I mentioned in the ingredients, I realized it didn't have any sugar in it, and I like my desserts to be sweet, so I just added 1/4 c. of sugar to the recipe.  Very tasty!  For my first time making it, I wanted to keep it simple, so I didn't put in the fun add-in ingredients (raisins, almonds, coconut, & honey topping), and it was good all on its own. . .I'll definitely try adding those next time, though!  (Bonus:  This is also a great dessert for those who eat dairy-free and/or gluten-free!)

No comments:

Post a Comment