Thursday, August 29, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

Source: My momma

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can kidney beans
1 can green beans (I like to use 2 cans of green beans if I need this casserole to go a little further)
1 can tomato soup (sometimes I don't have condensed tomato soup on hand so I use this handy dandy substitution)
3 cups mashed potatoes (I just used instant from the church drypack cannery, but you can make real mashed potatoes if you're so inclined)
cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions:
Brown ground beef and onion; drain grease.  Add both cans of beans and tomato soup and stir to mix.  Pour meat/bean mixture into a 9x13" baking dish.  Top with potatoes and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes, until everything is warm through and the cheese is melty and bubbly.

Notes:
Nothing fancy, and likely not very authentic, but it's quick, easy, and quite delicious.  Funny story: the other day I decided that I'd like to make Shepherd's Pie for dinner, but I couldn't remember exactly how my mom used to make it (I hadn't ever made it before and hadn't eaten it for years).  I did some searching online, but nothing I found sounded familiar, so I called the source, my mom (shoulda done that in the first place).  She filled in the holes that I was missing, but before she did, she said, "Are you having Shepherd's Pie tonight?"  I replied that I was hoping to, yes.  Then she said, "That's what we're having, too!"  Ha!  Like mother, like daughter, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment