Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Source: epicurious.com

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
12-oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries (3 cups)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest (I didn't have any oranges, but I did have some Cutie mandarins - one little Cutie gave a little more than 1/2 teaspoon of zest - perfect!)

Directions:
Bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries and simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries just pop, 10 to 12 minutes.  (I kind of mashed some of mine with the back of the spoon, to make it a little more mushy.) Stir in zest, then cool.  Can be made three days ahead and chilled, covered.

Notes:
I was also in charge of cranberry sauce for the Blanchards this year.  I was feeling ambitious, and rather than copping out with the canned stuff (which I'm not necessarily opposed to, just fyi), I remembered my mom making some homemade kind years ago and decided to give it a whirl.  There are no can lines, and it's definitely runnier than the gelled stuff, but I think it tastes pretty good.  Again, hope the fam agrees.  (Or maybe I won't be assigned Thanksgiving foods in the future!)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment