Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Italian Vegetable Soup

Source: Allrecipes.com, with a few alterations by me, based on what I felt like at the moment

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef (I didn't have any on hand, so I just left it out)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (I only used 1 small 8 oz. can)
2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups water (I used three tomato cans + 1 tomato sauce can of water)
5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules (I only added 4 ... I think)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (I added 1 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil (I added 1 tsp)
2 cups chopped cabbage
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn (I decided to leave this out because it was so full of other good stuff, I didn't think anyone would notice - and then I could save my corn for something else)
1 (15 ounce) can green beans
1 cup macaroni

Directions:
Place ground beef in a large soup pot. Cook over medium heat until evenly browned. Drain excess fat. (Since I didn't have or use ground beef, I heated a couple tablespoons of oil in my pot and then added the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and sauted for a few minutes, until the onions became soft.  I also seasoned these veggies with seasoned salt and pepper - just a few shakes.)  Stir in onion, celery, carrots, garlic, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, water and bouillon. Season with parsley, oregano and basil. Simmer for 20 minutes (or longer - I did about an hour and I say the longer the better!).
Stir in cabbage, corn, green beans and pasta. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente. Add more water if needed.  (I read in some comments on the recipe that many people don't like their pasta to go mushy - if you're that kind of person, you can boil your noodles separately and just add a few to your bowl.  Then, when you reheat your leftovers for a midnight snack or lunch the next day, just add a few more cooked noodles and you don't have the soggy, mushy problem.  Me?  I just cooked them in the soup and I'll enjoy the soggy mess tomorrow!)

Notes:
It snowed today in Colorado - pretty much all day long - beautiful, white, fluffy snow!  It was gorgeous.  And it made me want soup.  I knew I didn't have any meat (well, one lowly frozen chicken breast in the freezer) but I figured I could find something full of vegetables and flavor anyway.  And I did.  This was it.  Really quite delicious.  I especially loved all the kidney beans.  And the cabbage was a nice touch, since I had half a small head in the fridge and didn't know what I would do with it.  We enjoyed this soup with a hot slice of freshly baked French Bread and it was a delightful little dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment