Wednesday, October 26, 2011

French Bread

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
2 ¼ cups warm water
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon yeast
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Tablespoon oil
5 ½ -6 cups flour-stirred before measured

Directions:
Dissolve sugar and yeast in the warm water. Let this proof -or sit- for a few minutes until it bubbles. Then add salt, oil and 3 cups of flour and beat well. Add in 2 1/2 -3 more cups of flour. The dough should clean off the sides of the bowl and not be too sticky – but be careful not to add too much flour. Knead for a few minutes.

Leave the dough in the mixer to rest for 10 minutes and then stir it down (turn on your mixer for 10 seconds  or, if you're like me and don't have a mixer, just use a spoon to stir it/punch it down) and then allow to rest another 10 minutes. Repeat for a total of 5 times. Then turn dough onto a floured surface and divide into two equal parts. Roll each part into a 9×13 rectangle. Roll dough up, starting from long edge of loaf to seal. Arrange seam side down on large baking sheet that’s been sprinkled with corn meal, allowing room for both loaves. Repeat with second part of dough. With a sharp knife, cut 3 gashes at an angle on the top of each. Cover lightly; allow to rise 30 minutes. Brush entire surface with egg wash (one egg beaten slightly with 1 Tbsp of water). If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

Notes:
(Read Mel's helpful instructions about yeast dough and flour usage on her post if you're new to the yeast world.)  I knew I wanted something warm and bready to dunk in my Italian Vegetable Soup that I made tonight, and I remembered that I had read a recipe for homemade French bread on Mel's site a while ago.  I found it easily and I'm SO glad I did.  This was outstanding!  And it really looks and smells and tastes like the French bread from the bakery in the grocery store.  (I can't say whether it is true to the real stuff from France, but by golly it was good enough for me!)  I was so excited!

The recipe does make two loaves, and since it's only me and Gregg around here, I decided to freeze half the dough for another time.  Mel suggests putting it in a greased ziplock before shaping and the final rise and tossing it in the freezer (that's what I did).  Then, when you're ready to use it, let it thaw 6 or so hours before you're ready to use it, then proceed with the shaping, final rise and egg wash and then bake it as usual (that's what I plan on doing).

One more note: I tried using whole wheat flour for part of it (I think I had about 3 cups all purpose and 2ish cups whole wheat) and it worked out beautifully!  A little bit denser than all-white flour bread, but super soft on the inside and a nice crust on the outside.  I will most definitely be making this one again!  Oh Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment