Thursday, July 2, 2015

Not-Too-Sweet Baked Beans

Source: a mixture of Our Best Bites and the Essential Mormon Celebrations Cookbook (pg 96)

Ingredients:
7 slices bacon (~6 oz), cut in 2 inch pieces
1 small-med onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped (green is good, too)
2 cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (you could use diced tomatoes and skip the potato masher step, I'm sure, but this is what I had in the cupboard)
2 cans pork and beans, undrained
1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (I made these a second time and used pinto instead and I think I like that way better)
1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
⅓ cup molasses (I had slightly less, so I added a titch more brown sugar to make up for it)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon hot sauce (I used Cholula)

Directions:
Fry bacon in a large skillet until cooked but not crisp.  Add onion and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes.  Drain off bacon grease and discard or save for another use.  Place all beans in a large baking dish or crock pot. Pulse the tomatoes in a blender or food processor about 5-6 times or until they are breaking down but not smooth.  (I just dumped the tomatoes in the empty crock pot and mashed them a bit with a potato masher, then added the beans to it.)  Pour over beans.  Add molasses, brown sugar, mustard, salt and hot sauce and mix well.  Stir in bacon, onion, and pepper mixture.  Cover and bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour or 4 hours on low/2 hours on high in crock pot (I've made it twice in the crockpot and it's a cinch at either temp!).  Makes 12 servings.

Notes:
I really was craving baked beans this month, and luckily I had two opportunities to make (and eat) some (a lot).  I first whipped up a batch for our big birthday bowling/hot dog roast extravaganza and I got good reviews there, so when I was asked to bring something to another family bbq, and one of the options was beans, I jumped at the chance to make them again.  Super yum both times.  And really as easy as can be to throw together.  I especially love the variety of beans and the fact that it's not too sweet (there's still some sweetness, obviously with molasses and brown sugar, but it's not overpoweringly sweet).  You get all kinds of good smoky, beany, peppery flavors going on and I think they're just delish.  Long live beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment