Friday, October 24, 2014

Pumpkin Sugar Cookies

Source: The Amazing Mel

Ingredients:
for the cookies:
1/2 cup (2 ounces) powdered sugar
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (I used vegetable oil instead)
1 large egg yolk (I just used the whole egg)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup granulated sugar (for pressing)

for the icing:
2 cups (8 ounces) powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
2-3 tablespoons milk or cream

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners.

In a large bowl (or in the bowl of an electric stand mixer), cream together the powdered sugar, granulated sugar and butter with a handheld electric mixer until combined. Slowly drizzle in the coconut oil and mix.  (I thought this was super weird, but it really turned out great.)

Add the egg yolk, vanilla and pumpkin and mix until combined.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Add the dry ingredients to the wet batter and mix well.

Scoop 2 tablespoons (this seemed HUGE! when it was a ball, but the cookies weren't too big - I just didn't get nearly as many as she said she did - Mel said it yields 2-3 dozen cookies but I got closer to 1 1/2 dozen) of dough at a time and roll into balls (if the dough seems sticky, refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or lightly grease your hands - I was able to roll them right after mixing). Place the balls on the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.

Using a drinking glass with a flat bottom, dip the glass in the 1/2 cup sugar (lightly grease the bottom of the cup the first time to help the sugar stick) and press each cookie to about 1/4-inch thick, dipping the glass in the sugar between each cookie.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.

For the icing, whisk together the powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly add the milk (or cream) and whisk vigorously until smooth. Use more or less cream depending on the consistency you want (the thinner it is, the easier it will set so the cookies can be stacked).

When the cookies are completely cooled, swirl a little icing on top of each cookie.

Notes:
I saw these pop up on Mel's site recently and immediately pinned them (as I am wont to do with any Mel recipe).  My sister Heather told me she made them for Conference and they were a hit with the Elwoods, so I knew I couldn't delay making them myself.  I wanted to make them for one of our October road trips and I ended up making them for our Colorado Springs adventure.  They made a most delicious dessert for Gregg and me, munching them on the big hotel bed while Cal snoozed in her pack 'n' play in the corner.  (Nope, we didn't share.)

No comments:

Post a Comment