Friday, July 27, 2012

White Bean Guacamole

Source: Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 can (15 oz. size) white Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (I just used 2 cups of my cooked and frozen Great White Beans - but I'm guessing the canned kind might be easier to mash)
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice (I used a whole limes worth - because what else was I going to do with the rest of the lime juice?)
¼ cup red onion, chopped (didn't have a red one - so just used a white one)
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 whole jalapeño, seeded and diced
1 whole avocado, halved and pitted (I had one that I had frozen a few months ago - worked like a charm)
1-½ whole Campari tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped (I don't even know what a Campari tomato is, but I had a Roma and that's what I used.)

Directions:
In a food processor, add the beans and lime juice and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl. Next add the onion, cilantro leaves, salt and jalapeño to the processor and pulse until thick and creamy.

Add the avocado to the bean mixture and mash a bit to combine. Keep some of it chunky for added texture.

Seed and coarsely chop the tomato and add to the bean-avocado mixture and stir to combine. Add the onion-cilantro mixture and stir it all to combine. You may need to add a little more lime to ensure the avocado does not turn brown.

Serve right away or refrigerate for up to 1 hour.

Serves 6.

Notes:
I saw this one day and pinned it because it just seemed really unique and I liked the idea of making the avocado go further by mixing it with healthy beans (not that avocado isn't healthy, just they're super expensive here, so I like to spread out the wealth).

I attempted to use my blender for the food processor steps and it wasn't super successful - maybe my blender is just wussy, but I'd suggest following the recipe and using the food processor if you have one.  If not, a potato masher or even a spoon and a lot of elbow grease (thanks, Kim!) will do the trick - maybe not as smooth as a machine could have done it, but I think it worked.

We had this on our sweet potato tacos and it was really delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment