Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bean Soup with Kale






BEAN SOUP WITH KALE


Source: Adapted from a recipe I found at allrecipes.com

Total prep and cook time: ½ hour

Ingredients:
            1 T canola or olive oil
            5 garlic cloves, chopped
            1 medium white onion chopped
            4 cups coarsely chopped raw kale (2 inch pieces)
            1 large or two medium tomatoes- chopped
            4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I used 3 cans)
            2 cans white beans (I used small white)- do not drain or rinse
            1 teaspoon dried oregano
            1 teaspoon dry basil
            Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
            In large pot heat oil, add garlic and onion and sauté until soft.  Add kale and sauté stirring until wilted.

Add 3 cups of broth and 2 cups of beans and all of the tomato, herbs, salt and pepper.  Simmer 5 minutes.  In a blender or food processor mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth.  Stir into soup to thicken.  Simmer 10 minutes.
Ladle into bowls

YUMMY

Comments: this recipe was fabulous, we loved it!.  The original recipe called for more garlic and another seasoning, but I wouldn’t change it, it was great! And I loved the kale, it was the first time I had ever tasted it!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks, Kim. I've only had Kale in the Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana, and that's pretty tasty. I hear it's super nutritious, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Zuppa Toscana is the first recipe that Heather and I both suggested when Mom asked what to do with Kale. Great minds think alike!

      Delete