Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

Source: Victoria Blanchard

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups flour (I did three cups all purpose and 1/2 cup whole wheat)
1/2 cup lard (I didn't have any lard, so I subbed Crisco, which maybe is shocking to some, but I think they turned out tasty)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water

Directions:
Mix flour, salt and lard until crumbly - a fork works great for this, or a pastry cutter if you have one, or two knives.  Add water about 1/4 cup at a time while still mixing.  You probably will have to get your hands in there and mix/knead so it all stays together (or maybe I'm just incompetent with a spoon).  Cover and chill in fridge for 20 minutes (or more if you need to).  Divide into small balls - mine made 13 that were about 2 inches in diameter, roughly.  Roll out on a floured surface as thin as possible - mine ended up being about 10-11 inches in diameter.  Fry for on a medium-hot pan for a couple minutes on each side (I flipped it when the bubbles on the surface were about dime sized).  Eat and enjoy right away.  If you have leftovers you can save them in a plastic bag, but I'd suggest reheating them for a few seconds in the microwave to get the softness back.


Notes:
We made these for Cafe Rio pork burritos when I was in Virginia and I realized they really aren't as intimidating as I thought they'd be.  So when we were out of our regular store-bought tortillas and I really wanted to try the Sweet Potato Tacos, I decided I'd just have to make them myself.  Oh yum.  And besides being good, they are super cheap!  And Gregg was so impressed with my skills.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment