Monday, January 3, 2011

Parmesan Dijon Chicken

Source: Best of Betty Crocker 2010 ... with a couple of tweaks by me
(you can download a free copy here)

Ingredients:
1/8 cup butter, melted
2+ tablespoons Dijon mustard (I didn't have any Dijon, so I used some honey mustard instead, which coincidentally, I didn't have either, but I whipped some up using the "bonus" recipe below)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/8 cup parmesan cheese
4 chicken tenders

Directions:
Heat oven to 375F. Mix butter and mustard in a shallow dish until well mixed. Mix bread crumbs and cheese in a ziplock baggie (or I just used a little bowl and it worked great). Dip one piece of chicken at a time into mustard mixture, coating all sides. Then coat in bread crumbs. Place chicken in single layer in an ungreased pan. Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes, until the juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.

Notes:
One of my new years goals (I prefer 'goal' over 'resolution') is to make a new recipe every week and then blog about it. So, here goes. Week 1 down, 51 to go. :)

This recipe came together quite simply and quickly and turned out surprisingly delicious. You can scale the ingredients as you see fit. I still had about half the bread crumbs/parmesan cheese mixture left over after my dipping. But I ran out of the butter/mustard mixture after about 2 1/2 chicken tenders, so I just dipped the remaining 1 1/2 tenders in straight mustard. Couldn't tell a difference myself, so next time I'll probably just skip the butter part. Also, I used frozen tenders right from the freezer, so the cook time was a toward the longer side of 30 minutes. But since they were "tender" size, they cooked pretty quickly anyway. Had the last tender for leftovers today with a bit of the leftover mustard as a dipping sauce and it was quite a delightful little lunch.


Bonus recipe: Honey Mustard


Source:
The amazing internet!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon black pepper (I usually use 1/4 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon garlic salt (I usually use 1/4 teaspoon)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mix until thickened, increase ingredient to taste, refrigerate before serving. Miracle whip can be used in place of the mayonnaise and white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be used in place of the lemon juice.

Notes:
I substituted Miracle Whip for mayo because that's what I had. I only put maybe half or less of the suggested pepper and garlic salt and it was plenty. Gregg loves this stuff ... adds a nice zip to our previously boring egg salad sandwiches!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy, Kim! (I'm impressed with the homemade honey mustard!) Ambitious cooking goal. . .I'm looking forward trying out ones you will post this year! (How's that for lazy. . .making you do the work and then I steal them.) :)

    ReplyDelete