Thursday, August 5, 2010

Insanely Naughty Pumpkin Cake

Source: Angel Shannon on abc4.com


Servings: 12+
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hours, 10 minutes

Ingredients & Directions:

Crust:

  • 1 box yellow cake (set aside 1 cup that will be used for the topping)
  • ½ cup melted butter
  • 1 egg

Mix cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg well. Pour and press into lightly greased cake pan.

Filling:

  • 3 c. pumpkin
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ c. sugar
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 ½ t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. ginger
  • 12 oz. can evaporated milk

Mix pumpkin, 2 eggs, sugar, salt, spices, and evaporated milk. Pour over crust mix in pan.

Topping:

  • 1 c. cake mix (reserved)
  • ¼ c. sugar
  • ¼ c. butter
  • 3 T. flour

Mix these until crumbly. Sprinkle over pumpkin mixture. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool and serve with whipped topping.

Comments:

I just barely got this recipe today. . .and it's already a family favorite!

Cathi Chipman, a beloved sister in our ward, has been ill for years with pulmonary sclerosis (I believe) and probably won't be with us for very much longer. The other sisters and I in our ward love to serve her because she is such a joy to be around. I called her yesterday to see if there was anything I could do to help or if there were any foods she was able to eat had been craving, and she requested this cake. My friend, Monette, in our ward had made it for a Relief Society activity once, so I called her up; she was so helpful and searched around for it for me.

Cathi only wanted a few pieces -- she doesn't eat much at all these days -- so I served the rest tonight at a Wihongi family get together. This stuff got inhaled! It was so yummy, similar to a chocolate molten lava cake, only pumpkin. We've already decided this needs to be served at Halloween, Thanksgiving, or any other fall family function.

A delicious dessert that will now always remind me of an incredible woman and friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment