Monday, March 8, 2010

Corned Beef and Cabbage - Gallagher Style


This is the easiest of recipes!
I purchase a corned beef brisket - either flat or point cut, I usually get what is on sale. And I often buy two or more because they really cook down, there is a lot of fat. I cut open the bag, drop the brisket into the crock pot and cover with water. I always include the little seasoning packet AND (this is the secret ingredient) the peel of a whole orange. Then I cook it for at least 24 hours.
About 45 mintues before serving, I drain my broth/brine from the crock pot into a large bowl. I now skim off the fat and run the broth/brine through a strainer to get out the gunk that settles to the bottom of the crock pot. Then put lots of chunked red potatoes and peeled carrots into a large pan on the stove top and then cover the vegetables with the strained broth/brine and boil until soft. Then about 10 minutes before serving, place wedges of cabbage on top of the potatoes and carrots and baste slightly to get the brine over all and let it steam.
Drain all and serve hot. And of course you must have some yummy mustards to serve with the corned beef. Our favorites are honey mustard and spicy hot!
Luck o the Irish to ye!

No comments:

Post a Comment