Friday, January 11, 2019

Best Ever Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Source: Our Best Bites (with my own tweaks in italics, of course)

(my first ever batch of these beauties - and then I was hooked!)

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup dark brown sugar (I only ever have light brown)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (do it!  I promise it's magical!)
2 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled with a knife (very high altitudes may want to try adding 2 additional tablespoons of flour)
1 cup quick-cooking oats (or regular, or a combo of the two)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 3/4 teaspoon table salt) (also, trust the recipe - magic!)
3 cups (or 18 ounces) chocolate chips (I usually like a higher cookie-to-chocolate ratio, so I do less, but feel free to go crazy with the chocolate!)
any other add ins you might fancy (I LOVE all the things!) - some great combos: dark chocolate chips + pecans (+ m&ms pushed into the top), semi-sweet chocolate chips + raisins, dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips + craisins + coconut

Watch out - the dough is incredible!

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 (I up mine to 350 for my smaller cookies). If desired, line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.

Beat the softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl (I almost never do a separate bowl for dry ingredients - I'm a rebel, I know!), combine the dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips). Add to the butter/sugar/egg mixture and mix until combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.

Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop (this is huge and makes giant cookies, a la Old Grist Mill (a bakery shop in Logan), which was the idea behind the original post on OBB, but I never make them that big; instead I use my medium (I guess?) #40 (1 1/2 TB) cookie scoop for normal sized cookies), drop the dough by the scoopful onto the prepared baking sheets. You should be able to get about 6 (or 12) cookies per sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes (~10-11 for the smaller ones) or until they begin to turn light brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool completely (or don’t…no shame…) Makes 18 giant cookies (or ~3 dozen normals).

Notes:
I made these cookies for the first time in February 2016 and since then they have become my all-time favorite cookie recipe that doesn't come from someone I'm related to (ha!  how's that for commitment?).  They were touted as Old Grist Mill copycats, but I don't really think mine are that similar.  They are amazing, though.  Maybe it's the extra vanilla?  Maybe it's the extra salt?  That's all that is really different from my usual cookie recipe I grew up with (well, besides all butter, and we know butter is delicious). Whatever it is, they're spectacular!  I make them regularly these days, and whipped up a batch just yesterday with raisins.  SO DANG GOOD!  Also, they freeze great and are just like fresh when thawed (if you can wait a minute or two for that to happen!).


No comments:

Post a Comment