Thursday, March 13, 2014

Lemon Angel Hair with Chicken and Spinach

Source: a quick google search led me here, after a different blog I had originally seen it on via Pinterest ended up conking out on me - apparently it's a popular recipe on the interwebs

Ingredients:
1/2 lb angel hair pasta
4 cloves of garlic (diced, only because my garlic press broke on the first clove)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I cut this down by half)
Perfect Chicken, cut into chunks (I'm not exactly sure what "Perfect Chicken" is - I'm sure I could have googled it, too, but instead I just seasoned a chicken breast with salt and pepper, cut it into chunks, and browned it in a bit of oil on the stovetop.  It was delicious, and perfect enough for me.)
2 lemons, zested and juiced (I used ~ 4 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice that I had frozen in ice cube trays in the freezer)
3/4 cup half-and-half (I used a handy substitution trick I found here: melt 1 Tablespoon butter and add enough milk to make it 1 cup.  Bam.)
1 cup Parmesan, grated (or shredded) (I'm very un-gormet and used the canned stuff, which was just fine by me)
1 cup baby spinach, stems removed
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I just used regular vegetable oil - again, un-gormet)

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over low heat. Add oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Cook until the oil sizzles (about 7-10 minutes). When the water in your pot is boiling, add pasta - remember Angel Hair doesn't take very long to cook, so don't add it too early*.

To the skillet with the oil-garlic mixture add lemon juice, half-and-half, and a ladle of the pasta water. Raise the heat to med-low to med heat until the sauce begins to bubble. Drain pasta - do not rinse. Add the pasta, zest, and 1/2 c. Parmesan to the cream sauce. Toss for a minute or two. Add chicken and spinach, and toss until well distributed. Top with remaining cheese. Enjoy!

*Side note: If your pasta is cooking too quickly, just take the pot off the heat, but leave the pasta in the hot water. The pasta will continue to cook, just at a slower pace.

Servings: 4

Note:
I was blessed with a dozen fresh lemons straight from Arizona one week at church.  I came home with all kinds of ideas in my head for what to do with them: lemon bars, lemonade, lemon pie.  And then I started searching for savory dishes that had lemon.  I found this and knew I had to give it a try.  Oh boy oh boy!  It was delish!  I actually doubled it for a Sunday dinner when two of my sisters were visiting.  I was a little worried it wouldn't be saucy enough for Gregg's liking, but he loved it enough to eat the leftovers for lunch for the next two days.  We all loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment