Saturday, December 14, 2013

Magic Cookie Bars

Source: My grandma, Margaret Elwood

I was recently at my parents' house where
my mom was making these bars for a family
party - I knew I needed to take the chance to
snap a pic of the original handwriting of my
grandma in a cook book she put together for
my dad when he left on his mission.  Truly
a treasure - the handwriting and the recipe!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In 13x9 inch baking pan, melt butter in oven.  Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter; pour condensed milk evenly over crumbs.  Top with remaining ingredients; press down firmly with a fork.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Allow to cool completely and cut into bars.

Notes:
My grandma always makes these around Christmas time and I remember including them on our cookie plates that we delivered to neighbors growing up.  I signed up to bring a dessert to the branch Christmas party yesterday and decided that that was a great excuse to whip a batch of these.  That way I could eat one a few a lot, but not have a whole pan tempting me at home.  And I could share the love with my fellow branch members.  Win win.  They were a favorite at our table - and they weren't just saying that because I was sitting there.  They expressed their opinions before they found out I was the one who made them.

One more little note, my chocolate chips melted into sort of a fudgy chocolate layer, but I remember my grandma's staying more in chocolate chip form.  So I don't know what was different, but they are delicious either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment