Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chicken Pillows

Source: a mix of Mel's Kitchen Cafe and my friend, Marcy, plus some additions and alterations based on what I had/needed

Ingredients:
for the filling:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 - 1 1/2 pounds) (I actually probably had less than this - all I had in the freezer were two puny little breasts and it worked.)
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, light or regular, softened to room temperature
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1 green onion, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

for the rolls and coating:
1/2 batch buttery crescent rolls (I used Mel's Buttery Cornmeal Crescent Roll Recipe - and they were amazing! I actually made a whole batch, but only used half for this recipe and the other half I formed into crescents and froze before their second rise - now when I need rolls I'll just pop them out of the freezer a few hours before, let them thaw and rise, and bake as usual.)  (Note: you don't have to make homemade dough if you don't want to/have time to - just use a couple cans of refrigerated crescent rolls from the store - I won't tell.)
1/4 cup (half stick) butter, melted
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

for the sauce:
1 can cream o' chicken soup
~2 Tablespoons sour cream (I just sort of eyeballed this)
~1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I just sort of eyeballed this)
~3/4 can water (just use the chicken soup can and add until the sauce is the consistency you want)

Directions:
Make the buttery crescent rolls according to the recipe, but pause after the first rise.

While the dough is rising, cook and shred the chicken (or use already cooked, shredded chicken). In a medium bowl combine the chicken, celery, green onion, cream cheese, garlic powder and salt and mix until well combined. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.

Once the dough has doubled in size, deflate the dough and separate into two pieces (if you made a full batch - if you halved it from the beginning, just use all the dough you've got). Roll each piece of dough into a 13X20-inch rectangle and cut each rectangle into 12 pieces (cutting lengthwise in half and then each half into six pieces).  One by one, flatten each dough piece slightly and spoon about 1/4 cup of the chicken/cream cheese mixture into the center. Fold up all the sides and pinch them together to seal well.  (Mine turned out horrible looking, but after all was said and done, they actually looked fine and tasted even better.)

When all the chicken pillows have been formed, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl or flat dish (like a pie plate). One by one, dip the top of each chicken pillow in the melted butter and then in the crumb/Parmesan mixture. Place seam side down (whoops - didn't do it that way!) about 2 inches apart (and mine were much closer together, but they were totally fine) on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes, until the chicken pillows are lightly golden brown and the dough is baked through.

While the rolls are baking, prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan or microwave safe bowl, mix the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheese and water to desired consistency and temperature.  Stir well - it should be creamy and smooth and hot.

Serve the rolls warm from the oven with the sauce drizzled over the top.  Makes ~12 chicken pillows (I only got 11 filled rolls with my filling, but I think with a titch more chicken it would have been 12 for sure).

Notes:
I had tried these before with the store-bought crescents in a tube, and they were great, but after my sister mentioned she had made this particular recipe and I remembered that I had pinned it a long time ago, I decided to finally give them a whirl.  Oh yum!  I would have made the sauce in Mel's recipe had I had enough milk, but alas, it's grocery day and last night all I had was the 2 cups needed for the roll dough.  (Next time, for sure!)  The cream o' soup was a fine replacement, though.  And these little leftover pillow pockets of goodness will make a mighty fine lunch for me today.  (Can't wait!)

No comments:

Post a Comment