Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hummus

Source: My sister Heather's Israeli roomate Einav (pronounced AY-nahv, in case you were wondering)

Ingredients:
1 can garbanzo beans, reserve liquid
2 Tablespoons tahini (or, if you are like me and don't have tahini - which is sesame seed paste, by the way - you can substitute peanut butter)
3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves pressed garlic
Lemon juice (a couple tablespoons should probably do it)
Salt, pepper to taste

Directions:
Throw it all in the blender or food processor and pureĆ© away, adding some of the bean liquid a little at a time to get the consistency you want.  You can eat it with veggie sticks, or with bread, on crackers.  Whatever floats your boat.  (I personally like it with flatbread of some sort (pita, naan) or pretzels.)

Notes:
It's been a while since I've made anything new - I've still been making food, mind you, just nothing really new or exciting or post-worthy.  Well, a couple weeks ago my sister Heather told me about the hummus and pita bread she made and I decided to give it a whirl myself.  This is super quick and very tasty.  I admit the peanut butter flavor seemed a little strong at first, but after a while in the fridge the peanut buttery taste kind of faded and melded into the rest of the spread.  I made a second batch today and decided it was time to share.  Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment