Sunday, July 11, 2010

Chicken Borscht

Source: Allrecipes.com

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 120 minutes

Ingredients

2 lbs skinless chicken thighs
8 cups chicken stock (I dilute mine, and I added an extra 1.5 cups of water)
2 lbs potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes (use good quality, like Yukon Gold for better flavor)
1 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes (not drained) (I skipped this ingredient)
3 large beets peeled and shredded (I diced)
1 large carrot grated (I diced)
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 tbs. red wine vinegar
3 tbs tomato paste
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Place chicken thighs in the chicken stock in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken thighs are no longer pink at the bone, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken, and set aside to cool. Stir in the potatoes, tomatoes, beets, carrot, cabbage, onion, garlic, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, chunk the chicken, and discard the bones. Return the chicken thighs to the soup, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Comments: I've only had borscht once (and loved it!), and it was nothing like this, but this was still really good. I picked this recipe because it called for chicken instead of pork or beef (which we don't eat much of) and because it took 2 hours to make instead of all day like a lot of recipes I found. We loved it, and we even got Katie to eat it, which is saying something! Again, I highly recommend using good potatoes like Yukon Gold---you'll never go back to Russet!

No comments:

Post a Comment