Sunday, January 20, 2019

Naan {My Favorite Version}

Source: adapted from Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites (thanks, Heather W., for sharing your extra copy!), p 76



Ingredients:
1 cup warm water (105-110 degrees F)
1/8 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (the recipe says rapid rise, but I always use active dry and it works fine, so use what you have)
~3 cups flour (I like to do about 1 cup whole wheat + 2 cups all purpose, but all all-purpose is fine - also, the original recipe says 3 1/2 - 4 cups, so you may need more than the three I need, and that's probably okay)
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg, room temp, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plain yogurt or milk
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 clove garlic, minced

Directions:
1. Place warm water in a bowl and add sugar.  Stir gently and sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes or until bubbly.

2. While yeast is proofing, add 2.5 cups flour and the salt to a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (or a large mixing bowl if you do not have a stand mixer).  Add proofed yeast mixture, egg, and yogurt or milk.  Mix until it forms a very soft dough; add additional flour (I add about 1/2 cup while I'm kneading) if needed but keep dough very soft and sticky to the touch.  Knead with dough hook for 5 minutes (or by hand if not using a stand mixer).

3. Place in a lightly oiled bowl (I never oil my bowl for bread rising and it's always fine) in a warm location and cover with a light towel.  Let rise until nearly double in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.  (Another option, if you want to try it, is to make the dough to this point early in the day and then let it rise slowly all day in the fridge, covered tightly with a lid or saran wrap.)  Punch down dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Form into a mound and divide into 12-14 equal sized portions (just do your best!).  Place portions on a baking sheet (or just on your kneading mat/counter) and let rise again about 30 minutes until double in size.  While dough is rising, preheat grill, panini press, or skillet (I use an electric skillet that lives on our counter and let me tell you, this has been a life changer in my naan making).

4. Place butter in a small bowl and add garlic.

5. When dough has risen and the pan is hot, lightly brush the pan with garlic butter.  Roll out each portion of dough slightly thicker than a tortilla, about 1/8 inch.  Place dough on hot pan and grill 1-3 minutes until small bubbles form on top.  Brush top side with garlic butter and flip.  Cook an additional 1-3 minutes until golden brown on each side.  Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm while making the remaining flatbread.  Serve as a side dish with hummus or the remaining garlic butter, or use as wraps or for dipping in curry.  Leftovers freeze great, and also make really yummy personal pizzas (just add your favorite sauce and toppings and pop in the oven for a few minutes to warm/melt everything).




Notes: 
One of the only reasons I make curry is so I can make naan to dip in it.  (haha - #ilovecarbs)  I used to make a recipe that said to cook it in the oven and it was just such a hassle (and resulted in one of my pizza stones cracking in half years ago due to the high temps and spritzing water involved).  Once my sister Heather told me she liked the skillet method and recipe in the OBB cookbook, I knew I had to try it, and I've never looked back!  I also love that I can make the dough ahead of time (usually before church) and let it rise all day in the fridge so I can just get it started about a half hour before I'm ready to eat and I have hot, fluffy/chewy naan ready to feast upon in almost no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment