Monday, July 16, 2012

Crispy Chicken Wraps

Source: adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
1/3 cup mayonnaise, light or regular
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 scallions, sliced very thin (I didn't have any - so I just just 1/4 of a regular white onion, diced fine)
2 celery ribs, chopped fine
2 tablespoons sour cream, light or regular
2 teaspoons hot sauce (I wish I had some true hot sauce, but I didn't, so I just added some of my Pace chunky salsa)
1 rotisserie chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups) (I had some cooked, shredded chicken in the freezer - about a cup - and it worked awesome)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 (12-inch) flour tortillas

Directions:
Whisk the mayonnaise, cilantro, scallions, celery, sour cream and hot sauce in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to combine. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open.  (I found that it's more a folding motion than a "roll" per se - just fold one side of the tortilla over the filling down the middle and then carefully fold the other side over - like you're folding a piece of paper in thirds.) Spray the seam side of the tortillas with cooking spray. Heat a large non-stick griddle on medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange wraps, seam-side down first (this will help the wraps to not fall apart), on pan and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. Serve.

Notes:
I saw this pop up on Pinterest and it really got me salivating.  I had actually pinned a variation of this recipe from Mel's site a long time ago, but had never gotten around to making it.  It was a bit of a debate once I figured out there were two options for me to choose one for dinner this week, but I ended up making this one because I didn't feel like cooking up some rice.  (Next time I have leftover rice hanging around my fridge  you can bet that those Crispy Southwest Wraps are going to be on my plate!)  Gregg and I both loved these - they were quite filling and totally yummy.  Kind of like a "grown-up" quesadilla.  I also turned some leftover Sweet Potato Taco filling that I had made earlier last week into a crispy wrap for lunch one day.  The possibilities for this technique are endless!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a Mel's Kitchen Cafe kind of weekend! I just posted 2 of her recipes that we enjoyed yesterday. What a culinary genius that woman is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously - I haven't made anything from her site that I haven't liked. She's my fave!

      Delete